Monday, January 25, 2016

60 PAIRS OF EYES FOLLOW ME!!!

Here in Nzara the nun running the hospital since I arrived here on December 16th has placed me in charge of the "Adult Medical Ward".
Because there are very few Obstetric and Gynecology cases at this hospital as they have NO Operating room. No certified Midwives, very few nurses who perform deliveries.

I am one of 2 Obstetrician and Gynecologists in the state and the ONLY American Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecology Surgeon in the ENTIRE country.

BUT I round on Medical Adults every day.
Since the war started in Ezo on November 18th, I have NOT performed ONE single surgery. No C-sections, no hysterectomies, no laparotomies. Nothing..
No Pre-natal clinic with many happy pregnant women.

But I decided to follow my Aunt Antonette's Motto, "Bloom where you are planted".

The 60 patients in the "Adult Medical Ward" that have AIDS, Malaria and TB have NEVER had a physician like me!!!
Haha!!!
When I first came I realized these people are all depressed. Not eating, not bathing, smelly clothes and bed sheets. They are dying, there is war.

So.........

I decided to shake it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I arrive in the morning, I greet them singing, in the local language, Good Morning Everyone!!!! Are you there????
This makes them all so happy and laugh because I make such a great effort to speak Zande and Arabic to them.
Then I go from bed to bed.
I sit on the edge of the bed, I ask them what they ate last night for supper as my first question which blows their mind.
Then I comment on how I enjoy local food such as Kpokuto Gardia which are greens prepared with ground nut paste and then steamed in banana leaves. YUMMY!!!!
Or Kpokuto Kpoto which is cow's skin cooked with Ground nut paste (peanut-butter). SUPER YUMMY!!!
And of course Bahkinde which is cassava flour mixed with water. It is sticky and thick. The carbohydrate base of the meal. YUM!
This makes them laugh and laugh that a white woman knows all about their food.
Because all the white people they know and most people from even other African countries do not eat their food.
But all those who know me, know that I enjoy trying new foods then commenting and discussing how delicious the food is.

I also whistle when they have taken a shower, bath and put on clean clothes.
Whistling is a "man's" thing to do here and not many men even know how to whistle as loudly as I do.
So they LOVE it.
They laugh and laugh.
Now they are all showering, putting on clean clothes, changing the bed sheets, eating food so they can tell me all about it.
It is so wonderful!!!!!!.

Originally I was told me that most of these people will die here but we have had many discharges and they go home happy because I make such a fuss over the excitement of their discharge!!
NOW in the morning.....
When I arrive at the hospital 60 pairs of eyes follow my every move.
The nurses are so happy with the change and the way we round.
The nurses ALL want me to stay here in Nzara and not go back to Ezo.

CD4 counts are checked because I am so curious, most are on last line therapy, Stage 4 AIDS.
We check TB status.
We give them the works. (of course what we can here with limited resources)
Why not?
They deserve to feel that I care and will fight for them.
Most people's CD4 count here by the way is between 15-25!!!!!
It should be greater than 500!!!
So even though I am not doing my passion; Obstetrics and Gynecology, NO Safe Motherhood, because of these insane circumstances of WAR!!!
I am TRULY happy to bring the love and joy of Jesus to these beautiful patients!!!
They love me so much but I love them MORE!!!!
Praise be Jesus Christ now and Forever!
Continue to pray for me please.



4 comments:

  1. I love reading your updates , so glad you are well and safe . God bless my sweet friend . XoxoXo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have indeed bloomed where you are planted! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post. I am a regular visitor of your website and appreciate you taking the time to maintain the excellent site. I will be a frequent visitor for a long time.
    egyptian cotton sheets queen

    ReplyDelete