Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Less than 6 months to go!!!

So sorry to everyone that I have not posted photos in a while. I lent my camera to a local person who asked me for it.
I have my camera back and will start taking photos as soon as it is charged.
My promise here as a Volunteer with CMMB ends April 2016. So please pray for me that my next step is whatever God calls me to do.
Many of you know that I love to travel and do volunteer work. As a Lay Missionary with the Propagation of the Faith it is my vocation and pleasure to do so.
I do not want to arrive at the end of my life and not have done as much as I can for my fellow human beings especially the "least" among us.
When I was 15 my father gave me a photocopy with a beautiful poem. It stated that any good we can do, DO IT NOW because we only pass this way but once.
Sometimes the good is staying where we are. Sometimes it is going someplace else. Sometimes it is opening our hearts, sometimes it is giving up our hearts for the greater good and for GOD.
In the 6 months I have been here we have done so much. Saved so many Mother's and Women's and Infant's lives.
We (The CMMB Safe Motherhood Team which consists of me and a nurse/ midwife who is sometimes called away) have heroically operated in an Operating Room or Theater as it is called here that has NO electricity, NO lights, NO water, NO operating table, NO anesthetist, NO general anesthesia, we perform all our surgeries with Ketamine. The theater attendants from the government do not know the names of the instruments so we have to point and I have tried to teach them some names. There is no NG tubes or OG to deflate the stomach while we operate. The sutures are not the correct type. The instruments are very old and rusty.
But we forge ahead.
So much can be accomplished with so little.
The other day my parish priest Fr. Jacinto helped me so much. During confession I was telling him that my greatest sin is pride. I feel so angered sometimes when I say something and a person with an 8th grade education or worse someone who does not know how to read or write tries to correct me or questions me.
He made the solution so easy. "Rachael, we follow Jesus Christ who was the Son of God and was sent to this earth and had to put up with Pharisees and High Priests and His fellow country people who were such critics. Remember this."
Wow!!!
What a way to remind me!!
Please pray for me and my next 6 months here.


2 comments:

  1. May your next 6 months be as rewarding and satisfying as your first 6 months.
    Sending prayers and love, Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you so much Drachma - when you're done there let's RUN all over the world!

    ReplyDelete