Wednesday, November 4, 2015

GUN SHOTS!!!

So we are in a state of "insecurity".
We are told that 2 soldiers have been shot and a civilian was injured. Also the Commissioner of the neighboring county was shot. The chief of the "Payam" or village was shot.
In a neighboring village there is fighting for these reasons.
Last night in peaceful Ezo, there was gunshots.
3 of them.
I heard them very clearly.
We are told that a former commissioner is causing this trouble here.
Then this morning there was gun shots as well.
People are running from Ezo to the "bush". There is complete chaos.
People are running in all directions. So who knows where it is safe?
We were told last night that we would evacuate.
Last night I was told when I was going to my house to make sure I did not turn on my flashlight or torch as they call it here. To not open the door to anyone. To close all my windows (the only request I did NOT comply with).
Also to prepare a bag for emergency evacuation.
I really dislike all this fear and all these rumors.
For some reason I am not scared. I feel secure. I feel like I want to stay with "my" people here.
One of my very good friends reassured me that most of the trouble are the rumors and unfounded fear. This friend texted me updates during the night so I felt safe. What a wonderful friend!!
This morning when I woke up I decided to refuse to let fear enter my heart.
GOD gave me this gift.
I walked to Mass as I always do everyday.
I greeted people along the way. People were actually so happy to see me. They felt reassured that I was not evacuated or hiding at home.
After Mass I went to the hospital.
Thank God I did because a woman was there crying. She was having an Abortion or Miscarriage. So I took care of her.
She needed a D&C. Only I can perform this so thank God I was there to do this.
Then as today is Wednesday, the pregnant women were at the hospital waiting our ANC (antenatal clinic).
I was told by some of the staff to send them home.
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!
If these women walked here I am going to respect that and see every last one of them.
Which we did!!!
We also saw our surgical patients.
Although the theater attendant told me that today we will NOT operate. I did not push the issue because if they are all against it I do not want to force the surgeries.
The hospital staff that was there was so happy that I came to work.
We were laughing and really feeling like we can make a peaceful situation here.
I realize all our bravado does not stop the shooting all around us.
I realize that me going to Mass and the Hospital and seeing patients does not automatically cause peace in South Sudan but guess what?
Everyone that we encountered today felt so happy that I was there. That I was brave and came walking to Mass and walking to the Hospital.
Human beings desire peace.
I saw that today so clearly. there is no doubt in my mind that we are the vehicles of peace in this world.
As the song states so clearly:
"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me."
All my blog readers: pray for peace in South Sudan. Please pray for my safety and the safety of all the wonderful people of South Sudan.
By the way for those of you who are worried. CMMB is still discussing if we should be evacuated or not so I will keep you posted. I do NOT want to leave.
What a blessing to have peace in your country!!!


3 comments:

  1. God bless you! I am pulling out the stops, will ask everyone I know to pray. I feel so much love for you and I am so proud to say I know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying that you are safe as you go about your work......

    ReplyDelete