Thursday, November 5, 2015

Loosing weight

Very funny how other cultures view weight issues.
Because most people here do not over eat and do not have any processed food, and work physically so hard every day.
Most people are a healthy weight.
BUT.....
People here take "medicine" to gain weight.
Men here feel they are successful if they have a very large abdomen.
Women all want to be "thick".
So since I arrived here I have lost some weight.
People are now telling me to stop loosing weight.
That my family will not recognize me when I get back and they will be angry with me for loosing weight in Africa and my family will think that I was suffering here.
I try to explain that in my country to be overweight is something that is seen as negative.
That in my father's home country of Italy to be overweight is seen as very negative.
Believe me people, I am still overweight. Still obese.
Even the people I work with from Uganda are saying that women look better in clothes when they are fat. That I should not loose any more weight or I will look bad.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
Every culture is so interesting. As humans though we are so much the same. Our DNA as humans is so similar in such a large percentage.
Not to sound cheesy but we are ONE race the HUMAN race.
We always desire the opposite of what we have. We want what we cannot have.
So I will continue to eat the local food and walk everywhere as I have been doing.
The women and men here will continue to take "supplements" to gain weight.
The women in Italy will continue to have the lowest BMIs in Europe and American women will continue to be obsessed with weight loss.
My family will be happy for me that I lost weight.
Human beings......



1 comment: