Friday, July 10, 2015

Excuse me, are you Chinese?

So everyday I wake up at 6 AM and walk the almost 2 miles to daily morning Mass at my parish Regina Mundi, on the way there, I am greeted by many people.
Almost every day, I see a man who drives by on a bike. He greets me and I great him in the local language Azande or Pazande like the local say.
" Senoooo" (Hello)
Response: " OOOOOO"
"Guinea Pai" (how are you)(literal translation: are you there)
"Pai Te" (I am fine) (literal translation; I am here)

The other day, he said to me in English, " So Madame Doctor are your Chinese or something?" So with all the self control not to BURST out laughing I said, "No I am not."
He said, "What are you then? Because you are friendly like Americans and you are Christian like the Italians, and eat our food like the Bangladeshi".
Wow!!!!!! hahahahahaha!!!!!!
So I explained, " I am from Italian people but I am American."
Isn't that funny, that I must be Chinese?
Even though I do not feel like I look Chinese, when I was in China in Beijing, I was asked at least 5 times things in Chinese because the locals thought I was Chinese.
My brother Edward is my witness that this is really true.
My goal is to be confused for a South Sudanese, Azande.


3 comments:

  1. ROTFL. Start working on your tan. People ask if I'm Samoan all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of the time I went to go visit you in (I think el llano??) and we walked down the main road everyone screamed doctora!!!!! And we bought every kid food from all the vendors we passed. We had platano con salami for thanksgiving dinner.

    ReplyDelete