Monday, September 21, 2015

People die on my ONLY Day off!!

So since I left Boston on April 4th, I have not had a day off. I have been working every day and on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Loving EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!
Since I arrived there have been ZERO maternal deaths. Thank God. Praise be Jesus!!!!!
Last week I was invited by the Parish Priest of the largest parish in the Capital city (Yambio) of this state (Western Equatorial) to come for the First Anniversary of the Late Bishop Gasi to give a day of reflection/talk/preaching for the people.
He said he would send a truck to come and pick me up and I would be staying at the new Bishop's house and taking meals with the Bishop!!! (Bishop Eduardo Hiiboro Kussala of the Tombura-Yambio diocese)
So I said, "YES!!" Of course after asking permission from my CMMB person. Who said I could have Friday and Monday off.
I had a wonderful time. My talks were on Friday. I spoke about Faith, Sacraments specifically Eucharist then the last talk was on Marriage and Family.
What a great day!!! One of the priests was my interpreter. He did a fantastic job.
The weekend was amazing!!!! Adoration all night long, Praise singing, dancing, Healing prayers.
Meeting the Bishop was an honor. He is a champion in this region of Africa for peace. He has written a very interesting book (which he gave me a copy and I read) on Peace and Reconciliation. He travels all over the region to promote peace in South Sudan and in Africa in General.
What an amazing, interesting, humble man!! Who by the way is walking the walk, not just talking the talk. He has lived in Refugee camps and Internal Displaced Persons Camps to help with Peace and Reconciliation.
He is brilliant, fascinating and I thank God I had the opportunity to meet him.
So on Monday, the Bishop assigned one of the Deacons to take me around Yambio. This Deacon is the one assigned to my parish in Ezo and he is a wonderful friend and brother to me. He is the subject of my next blog.
As we are going around, I receive a call from the Hospital in Ezo that there is a woman at the hospital who needs a Cesarean Section but has a dead baby.
So I am 5 hours drive away. (on a good day)
To make a LONG and complicated story short, the Theater attendant performed the surgery and when I arrived back on Tuesday, she died.
So I was DEVASTATED!!! I wanted to cry for taking time off.
If I had stayed in Ezo, she would probably be alive. Why did I leave for a long weekend?
The Maternal Mortality rate was ZERO the 5 months I have been here. Now for me one maternal death is 100%.
The worse part is that most people do not feel bad. Because they said that her Father placed a curse on her with Witch Craft and that is why she died.
What the heck??!!!!!
But I also must walk the walk after talking the talk. So forgiveness and reconciliation From God are in my heart. I want to live in peace in my soul.

IN ALL THINGS WE GIVE YOU THANKS ALMIGHTY GOD, YOU WHO LIVE AND REIGN FOREVER AND EVER. AMEN.

3 comments:

  1. Prayers for your aching heart! You are so good be gentle with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peace be with you....and with your spirit....
    And for the one woman who died, may eternal light shine upon her and may she rest in peace with her child.

    ReplyDelete