Friday, April 17, 2015

Awesome Friday; first Cesarean Delivery in Ezo!!!!


Today was a great day!!!
Annet the midwife from Uganda (who is a joyful saint) and I went to the hospital early this morning and we just arrived home!
What an incredible day!!!!
When we arrived I was informed a mother who had just delivered had a tear that needed a surgical repair.
So right off the bat, I was sewing her. Then we had prenatal visits and I took care of the pregnant ladies who had sick visits today.
That was fun. It was through an interpreter as now I realize it is a privilege to speak English here as most women speak Zande or Azande (tribal language) or Arabic.
Then we had a women in labor who since this morning was pushing and had many hours of arrest of descent and I was asked to perform a Cesarean Section.
Wow!!!
This was amazing.
We went to the Theater (Operating Room). There is no electricity, no overhead lights so we used a head lamp run on batteries. Then there is no Anesthesiologist or nurse Anesthetists so we gave IV Ketamine (the only medicine available). There was only ONE vial left so we hoped and prayed that would be enough.
We only had a set amount of sutures so we had to be conservative on sutures yet quick on time to make it before the Ketamine wore off.
There is no Operating room nurse or tech so we pick our own instruments, set up the table, and choose what we need off the instrument table.
By God's grace and all of your prayers we succeeded and had a beautiful baby boy with a big (normal) head who just did not want to come out.
I felt so humbled and grateful to every one who assisted us. It is amazing how much you can do with so little.
I am so grateful to all those in CMMB in New York, who take the time and email me and are so wonderful.
When I think about other missionary physicians who even have less and do more, I take my hat off to them.
God is great! All over the world there are human beings working so hard to help others. Like all the nurses and midwives and TBAs (traditional birthing attendants) that I have the honor of meeting and working with in Ezo, Western Equatoria, South Sudan.


1 comment:

  1. Rachael, I keep checking your blog every week because I'm really excited about following your journey and story. You hit the ground running and are already busy even on day 1! You're an amazing, amazing person!

    ReplyDelete