Thursday, April 23, 2015

What HIV prevalence means


Here in Ezo county we have the highest HIV prevalence in South Sudan.
You do not understand what this means until you live somewhere where more than 80% of the population is HIV positive.
Wow!!!
CMMB, the group that I am volunteering with is doing an FREAKING AMAZING job with placing all these pregnant women on therapy, and the population in general. They are using the latest and greatest protocols. I am so very impressed.
We have a very low vertical transmission rate. In other words Moms to babies.
Just to give you an example, I live in the compound next door to the CMMB compound (where the midwives and CMMB staff live). I am the only person on my compound that is not HIV positive excluding the small children. The man and his 3 wives and his brothers and his relatives that live on "my" compound are all HIV+.
Just yesterday we were doing Prenatal Clinic which by the way after being in the Operating "Theater" is my new favorite activity, we had to tell a newly pregnant 19 year old young woman that she is HIV+. For me it was tough to do but it is so common that she was not really devastated. Perhaps she was being stoic. But the good news is CMMB has a great HIV clinic set up, giving medicines to everyone but of course our interest is pregnant women.

No comments:

Post a Comment